- Anything that will improve New Brighton is to be welcomed.
This is a very imaginative proposal which should be approved by the
If this is rejected all we can look forward to is more decline and
degradation of an area that is unique and has great potential.
It could become one of the star attractions of the North West.
- My first visit to New Brighton was in
1937 and I have lived here since 1960. For the past 40 years there has been
discussion about development plans for New Brighton, all of which have come
to nothing., Enough of discussion! Let’s get on with the job. Even if
it is not perfect, this plan is our last chance.
I say YES to a New Brighter New
- I DID NOT CHOOSE TO LIVE IN NEW BRIGHTON IN ORDER TO ENJOY A VIEW OF A
CAR PARK, SUPERMARKET, PETROL STATION OR A BLOCK OF OVERPRICED
“LUXURY” FLATS WHICH WILL ONLY BE BOUGHT BY PEOPLE FROM OUTSIDE
A MAJOR SELLING POINT OF THESE FLATS IS THAT THEY WILL OFFER
“UNLIMITED VIEWS OF LIVERPOOL BAY” – VIEWS THAT ARE
CURRENTLY ENJOYED BY ALL – NOT THE FEW WHO CAN AFFORD IT.
THIS DEVELOPMENT IS BASED UPON THE COMMERCIAL VIABILITY OF THE
SUPERMARKET( NOT NEEDED IN VIEW OF THE CLOSE PROXIMITY OF ASDA).
IF THIS FAILS TO BE PROFITABLE ENOUGH AND MORRISONS DEPART, THIS WILL
LEAVE BEHIND A VAST, EMPTY WHITE ELEPHANT WHICH WILL THEN BECOME WHAT? YES.
YET ANOTHER NIGHTCLUB ATTRACTING THE WORST ELEMENTS TO THE AREA.
- I have been assured that the elevation of the apartments would not
obscure the view of Perch Rock and the Lighthouse. I hope this is
- BRILLIANT! GO AHEAD SOONEST!
- The proposed plans are unsuitable
for the immediate and surrounding areas (i.e. causing extra traffic Seabank
Road etc., spoiling the views we have now.
Take a trip to Rhyl and check out the
spoiling of their promenade by so-called regeneration.
Give it a few years when the money runs
out to keep these “ugly suggested buildings by Neptune” and they
too will look ramshackled and dated. (SUPERMARKETS ARE UGLY). I would like
to see a leisure facility (i.e. sports centre) built in keeping with the
current Art Deco period style buildings which are part of our N.B. Heritage
(we should save!!)
P.S. I don’t think we should be
held to ransom by a Supermarket Giant – arh!!
I would like to see a supermarket –
because that would bring regeneration to New Brighton and this is where it
- GREAT. BEST IDEA IN YEARS.
- I appreciate there is a need for
redeveloping New Brighton area – sadly some of the ideas are not to my
liking – especially the SUPERMARKET which will obscure the views of
Liverpool, Lighthouse, Fort.
hope the improvements will be financed very carefully and not waste money as
it has been wasted in the erection of a CLOWN – I wonder if I will
live to see the plans completed???
- The proposed Neptune Development is a very good investment for the
future of New Brighton. I think you should go head with the plans. Also a
new pier would bring more visitors back to New Brighton.
- AN OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOL IN OUR CLIMATE SEEMS TO BE WRONG.
WHY NOT A SUNCENTRE LIKE RHYL?
- WHEN YOUNGER WE VISITED NEW
BRIGHTON OFTEN. WE DON’T AS A RULE USE IT NOW AS THERE ISN’T
ANYTHING FOR US. IF ANY DEVELOPMENT IS BASED ON A SUPERMARKET THEN THE
BENEFIT IS TO OUR ADVANTAGE. LET’S HAVE THE SUPERMARKET
- Be soooooon!
- A pier with the return of the ferry boats could bring visitors
from Liverpool “Capital of Culture”.
- I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE PROPOSED PLANS COMPLETED.
- Prefer no Supermarket but realise it is part of the package.
- Wallasey born and bred, lived in
N.B. for 20 years. Seen the decline and the false dawns for the resort. At
long last something that’s REALISTIC and DO-ABLE
provided the Nimbys don’t win the day!
- TIME TO LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND AND LOOK TO THE FUTURE.
ABOVE ALL ELSE IT’S TIME TO IGNORE THE
VOCAL MINORITY ( WHO HAVE OBJECTED TO JUST ABOUT EVERY SCHEME EVER
SUGGESTED) AND TO ACT IN THE GREATER GOOD OF THE SILENT MAJORITY.
TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND JUST DO IT!
- It will be the end of all our lovely
open space. Supermarket should have been built on the old school sites
instead of houses. A lot of folk enjoy walking along the prom. We already
have Asda, Kwik and free bus to Tesco - and local shops.
- Yes – please go ahead –
all the grumblers will probably be fine in the end! They just want to
complain whatever the plans are. We have waited years for this. I bet if it
goes ahead the moaners will be the first to use the facilities!.Progress
forwards is the best way – it’s excellent.
- THE SOONER THE BETTER.
- Looks exciting.
- A bus stop should be adjacent to the Supermarket.
- The outdoor lido is nice but not practical. It would be if
enclosed by draught proof screens and had a sliding glass roof.
- The new Marine Lake and model boat pond should be up and
running before the old ones are filled in.
- Both Marine Lake and Model Boat pond should be at road level.
Real and model yachts need wind.
- I AM VERY UNHAPPY ABOUT THE PROPOSED SUPERMARKET LOCATION AT THE
MARINE LAKE. I FEEL IT WOULD BE OF MUCH MORE USE AND MORE EASILY ACCESSED IF
IT WERE SITED ALONG THE PROMENADE NEAR THE END OF SEA ROAD.
I HAD HOPED THAT THE VICTORIAN ELEGANCE WOULD BE RETAINED
- IN MY OPINION WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER SUPERMARKET IN NEW BRIGHTON
OR MORE APARTMENT BLOCKS. THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT IS NOT IN KEEPING WITH
THE ORIGINAL ARCHITECTURE AND ENVIRONMENT.
- Having viewed the new plans for New Brighton I am against the
proposals regarding Marine Lake and Supermarket – also apartment block
on sea front all of which will destroy the existing sea view.
I do not consider concrete and glass jungle in keeping with a seaside
- There is so much talk about a skateboard
park. My children will be grown up before anything happens. Come on
- Why could you not resite the
Supermarket opposite on the Grand Hotel site and, if not big enough, acquire
the adjacent buildings to enlarge it thus leaving the view for everyone to
- NO NEED FOR A FOOD
- There is no necessity whatsoever for another supermarket in New
Brighton, and if there was this site is the worst possible site imaginable.
Leisure facilities are a necessity in the area and will be funded by the
people using them without a supermarket.
This scheme is just making money for Neptune and the Council and is not
what local people want. The new apartments will provide an excellent view
for the out of town yuppies who purchase them.
- We sincerely hope the itemised
proposals are fully implemented. The “No” posters in
resident’s windows are far inferior to the residents who have not
displayed these posters. Let’s hope that means more residents support
- ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS ORGANISED.
NEW BRIGHTON HAS GONE DOWN THE HILL SINCE SELF AND FAMILY ARRIVED IN 1959.
GO TO IT!!
- N.B. HAS A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE OVER 60, LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO DO
NOT DRIVE AND YOUNG MUMS. THESE PEOPLE WILL NOT WANT TO SHOP ON THE PROM AND
CARRY SHOPPING UPHILL BRAVING THE ELEMENTS. YOU WILL KILL OFF
VICTORIA ROAD AND THE SHOPS WHO HAVE SUPPLIED RESIDENTS. I TOTALLY OBJECT TO
MARINE LAKE BEING USED AS PLANNED, OBSCURING OUR SUPERB VIEW. AS TO BRINGING
BACK THE FERRIES ETC YOU ARE 30 ODD YEARS TOO LATE. N.B. WILL NEVER
RECAPTURE THE HALCYON DAYS OF THE 50’S AND 60’S. THE PLAN IS TOO
ADVENTUROUS AND TOO LATE!
- The main problem for me is losing the view across the bay. I am
against the Supermarket and the apartments on the sea wall. I would love a
swimming pool and sports centre like the one just opened in Southport,
without being blackmailed with the Supermarket. The pool etc should be built
on the site of the old Baths and coach car park. To me you would have to be
inside the walls and building, outside the view would go. All that you would
see would be glass, apartment blocks, supermarket – the poet’s
view would vanish.
- Original plan with Supermarket on site
of old New Brighton Baths much less obtrusive and thus preferable. Proposed
Marine Lake is only 70% size of present lake and due to triangular shape a
significant proportion is unusable. We object to the height of the proposed
apartments under the revised proposal. We object to Bingo Hall and Casino
– do we want to be a third rate Blackpool – I think not! If a
skateboarding park was a supervised club – fine. If not we object. The
proposed pier – are Mersey Ferries interested or not? If not we
don’t see this happening. We accept that commercial input is necessary
but we do not think that the amended proposal will benefit New Brighton as
it will obliterate the very views that contribute to its appeal. All in all
we are concerned about the continuing secrecy and incomplete information on
display. We reiterate, we understand the need for commercial input but we
disapprove of the change in the plan and we do not feel that all sensitive
issues are being addressed.
- As nice as it all sounds, and yes, we
do need to upgrade New Brighton, but surely not to the expense of businesses
in Victoria Road, which will suffer from the Supermarket
- I object to apartments being built at the water end of Victoria
Parade. For me and my neighbour prefer to see the river, Town Square,
boating activity rather than the apartment’s brick wall which is all
we will see.
Now Victoria Parade is a pleasant and inviting walk to the prom from the
bus and train (rather than a brick wall welcome.) Now the pier – would
thy not prefer to see the start of Victoria Gardens as they come ashore and
look up Victoria Parade, and the Town Square and boats rather than a 3 or 4
level block of apartments. Please think!
- I HAVE SEEN THE PLANS. I THINK THEY WILL IMPROVE NEW BRIGHTON AND
WILL UPDATE OLD AND TIRED FACILITIES.
- I AGREE IN THEORY THAT SOME FACILITIES ARE REQUIRED IN NEW BRIGHTON
(SWIMMING POOL/LEISURE CENTRE ETC) BUT ALL IN KEEPING WITH THE EXISTING
PROMENADE AND THE SURROUNDING AREA. TO BRING A SUPERMARKET TO THE PROMENADE
WOULD BE THE DEATH OF ALL LOCAL TRADERS AND WOULD ALSO LOOK MOST UNSIGHTLY
AND WOULD RUIN OUR SEAFRONT FOR EVER. PLEASE THINK AGAIN.
- We don’t need another
Supermarket/filling station/a new lake/to spoil the skyline. The Grand needs
renovating or compulsory purchase and knock it down. Make better use of
Wilkie’s outdated and ill-equipped buildings – all take and no
give, it’s now shabby and outdated.
- Like most people I do not have a problem with the plan in principle
– only the idea of building the Supermarket on the Marine Lake.
Technically and financially there isn’t any difference in modifying or
rebuilding the existing lake as there is to building a new lake as planned.
New Brighton is probably the only resort in the U.K. that has not only sea
views, but the sight of regular international shipping plus an abundance of
inter- U.K. movements.
- A new Marine Lake will be a vast improvement on what we have now.
The changing rooms are crap!
- These are the proposals that are needed in New Brighton. GOOD LUCK.
Something for all age groups.
- TOTALLY IN FAVOUR OF ALL ASPECTS.
- The whole concept seems too good to be true!! We have been waiting for
some development for years – but nothing!! So long as Morrison’s
the Superstore fulfil all their promises – to build a ferry PIER and
develop everything else, and the Wirral Council insist on everything being
completed satisfactorily, then this is the best news for New Brighton in
many years. I hope I live to see it all happens – I’m 69 now
– thank you.
- FULLY AGREE WITH ALL PROPOSALS.
- Agree entirely.
- I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE SUPERMARKET
WAS MOVED FROM THE OLD BATHS SITE TO THE MARINE LAKE. I DO NOT THINK THAT
SILTING UP IS THE REAL REASON. SOMEONE HAS STUCK AN OAR IN.
- This would be a total waste of money doing
any of these things mentioned s where do people come from to use any of
these facilities if a new pier isn’t built? It would be far better to
spend some money on the buildings we already have here. Swimming pools would
be a waste of time as TWO pools have already been disposed of – people
used to come across on the ferries to these places – also what
hasn’t been thought about YET somebody would have to provide new
ferries which I am sure would be big N0 NO (Too expensive) so not worth
- 1 – WE DO NOT NEED SUPERMARKET AS WE
ARE WELL SERVED LOCALLY. 2. TO DESTROY A UNIQUE FEATURE LIKE THE MARINE IS
VANDALISM. 3. TO SITE THE SUPERMARKET NEXT TO FORT PERCH ROCK JUST ADDS TO
THE VANDALISM. 4. IT WILL DESTROY THE VIEW FROM THE PROM AND WILL BECOME THE
FOCUS OF NEW BRIGHTON WHICH IS REALLY DUMB. THESE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS TEND
TO START OFF WITH IMPRESSIVE LISTS THEN, HALFWAY THROUGH CONSTRUCTION, THE
COMPANY INVOLVED STARTS TO SCRAP SOME ELEMENTS – ALWAYS THOSE THAT ARE
OF COMMUNITY BENEFIT AND FAVOURING THOSE THAT MAKE MONEY FOR THEM. THEY
DISAPPEAR LEAVING TH MESS BEHIND THEM.
- I would not be happy to lose the Marine Lake. Also I would be unhappy to
see flats go up in the Floral Pavilion car park.
- I AM TOTALLY OPPOSED TO THE IDEA OF A SUPERMARKET ON THE SITE BUT IF
THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO REGENERATE THE AREA I WOULD FEEL OBLIGED TO GO ALONG
- I am disappointed in the lack of transparency regarding the siting of
the 4 storey block of flats which have suddenly appeared on the sea front
west of the Fort on the new plans. I would suggest that this has impacted on
Neptune’s credibility which is a shame! I feel that this is the only
part of the project I would object to. Let’s hope that final
compromises can lead to real progress.
- AN EVENTS ARENA IS JUST WHAT WE NEED IN NEW BRIGHTON FOR CONCERTS
– WE MAY GET SOME TOP CLASS ACTS.
- I am unhappy about the block of
flats which will obstruct the view across the estuary which, to me, is a
major attraction. The Supermarket could cause the closure of Kwiksave which
would mean a fairly steep climb for shoppers as the gradient on Rowson
Street from the Promenade to Wellington Road is quite steep.
- AFTER SEEING THE PROPOSED PLANS I AM
VERY UNHAPPY. NOTHING FITS IN WITH THE EXISTING BUILDINGS AND I FEEL THAT IF
PLANS GO AHEAD FOR THIS CONCRETE AND GLASS MONSTROSITY IT WILL BE A
DISASTER. WHERE ARE THE ART DECO BUILDINGS TO FIT IN AND COMPLEMENT THE
EXISTING ONES? IF THIS IS HE BEST THAT CAN BE DONE WITH £70 MILLION
THEN I HOPE IT FALLS THROUGH. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEE THE SWIMMING POOL
REBUILT AND MAYBE SOME KIND OF PLAY AREA FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS.
I DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT TO SEE A SUPERMARKET OR APARTMENTS ON THE
- Although I only work in the area I believe the developments will benefit
both businesses and residents alike.
- IT WOULD BE MORE IDEAL IF THE POOL WAS COVERED. WHAT CHARGE IS THERE FOR
PARKING? CAN THE LOW TIDE SEA ANGLERS ACCESS THE BEACH? WHAT ARE THE PLANS
FOR TRAFFIC FLOW?
- We do not need another Supermarket – there is already one
local one and three within easy reach. The Supermarket and luxury flats
would spoil the lovely clear view which many people visit New Brighton to
see. Also a skate board park would encourage gangs.
- I THINK THAT THIS MAY BE THE LAST CHANCE FOR THE REGENERATION OF NEW
BRIGHTON. SO MANY PROMISES HAVE BEEN MADE AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. WE
SHOULD GRAB THIS OPPORTUNITY WHILE IT IS STILL ON OFFER AND IF THE
SUPERMARKET IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE PLAN WE MUST ACCEPT IT. SO MUCH IS
OFFERED TO US IN THIS DEAL.
- I have been to see the plans and I think
it all looks great. The plans didn’t say whether the lido had a
retractable roof or not. I really hope these plans are passed because I
think it will put New Brighton back on the map as being a great
- THE FOCUS OF ANY DEVELOPMENT SHOULD B TO
PRESERVE THE NATURAL BEAUTY OF NEW BRIGHTON AS WELL AS THE EXISTING
ATTRACTIONS. WE MUST NOT DEMOLISH ANYTHING ELSE. SUPERMARKETS SHOULD NEVER
BE BUILT ON PRIME VIEW SITES – NOR SHOULD PARKING LOTS.
- Yes – just get on with it. It
is over 20 years now. Maybe something for 2008?
- PIE IN THE SKY DUBIOUS SCHEME TO
DESTROY PRESENT UNSPOILT VIEWS FROM PROMENADE.
- It’s about time something was done in New Brighton.to bring it
up to the 21st century as, at the moment, it is dated and
boring.76.NOT BEFORE TIME THAT SOMETHING WAS DONE. IT’S THE BEST IDEA
THAT’S COME IN A VERY, VERY LONG TIME. HOPE IT ALL COMES OFF –
KEEPING OUR FINGERS CROSSED.
- I am delighted with these proposals – they are long overdue. Too
many schemes have been strangled at birth, usually by the Wellington Road
“mob”. I have waited over 30 years for this wonderful project.
As regards the Supermarket – what’s the problem? You can’t
move in Asda. The town is crying out for another. Nobody seems to mention
the jobs that will be created. Why not? CRACK ON A.S.A.P.
- SINCE NEPTUNE IS NOT USING THE OPEN GREEN AREA OF THE DIPS, I AM IN
FAVOUR OF ALL PROPOSALS.
- I love
the Floral Pavilion but it does need to be modernised. If we have to build a
Supermarket to pay for it I wouldn’t mind.
BRIGHTON IS FOR LEISURE AND ENTERTAINMENT NOT FOR RETAIL COMMERCE AND
BUSINESS. IT WOULD BE BETTER TO LEAVE IT FOR THE NEXT GENERATION TO DEVELOP
THAN RUIN THE AREA NOW AND PREVENT THEM FROM RAISING MONEY IN NEW WAYS TO
MAKE SOMETHING GOOD OUT OF IT.
- It looks brill. – bring more people
to the area and our shop is looking forward to the ice rink!
- THE ONLY THING THAT BOTHERS ME IS AN OPEN AIR LIDO IF THIS IS FOR
SWIMMING. WHY CAN’T IT BE INDOORS? DELIGHTED AT THE IDEA OF A
SUPERMARKET ALTHOUGH I KNOW SOME PEOPLE DON’T WANT ONE.
- Let’s hope this plan comes to
pass. New Brighton – and Wallasey – needs a new start. I’m
all in favour of whatever gives us that boost.
- WE FULLY SUPPORT THE PLANS AS
- Well then – NOTHING AT ALL!!
I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN WALLASEY I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE BETTER IDEAS
AND, AS I HAVE TRAVELLED MUCH OF THE WORLD, (AND STILL DO ) I THINK, AS AN
ISLAND ( AND WE STILL ARE ) AND ALSO, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, THERE IS ONLY ONE
WALLASEY IN THE WHOLE WORLD – LET’S DO IT!!
- I think that a new, improved boating lake will be real attraction on New
Brighton promenade. The existing one is on of the enduring facilities we
- VIEWS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME. I
LIKE THE POINT WHERE THE RIVER MEETS THE IRISH SEA. I LIKE TO SEE THE BOATS
ENTERING THE SEA AND THE RIVER. I LIKE SPACE. NEW BRIGHTON FRONT GIVES VIEWS
AND SPACE. I GET TIRED OF BUILDINGS AND CARS. THE THOUGHT OF FILLING UP THAT
WONDERFUL SPACE AND THOSE VIEWS WITH MORE CONCRETE, CARS AND POLLUTION
OFFENDS AND SADDENS ME. I’M FOR A SPRUCE-UP OF THE FRONT –
ESPECIALLY THE GRAND HOTEL – BUT, TO BE QUIT HONEST, I COULD QUITE
HAPPILY LIVE - NO PROBLEM - WITHOUT MORE SHOPS, CARS AND POLLUTION. WHAT
ABOUT THE GENERATIONS TO COME - SURELY THY DESERVE AN ENVIRONMENT
THAT’S LEFT UNTAMPERED WITH.
- FULLY SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT – HOWEVER THE SUPERMARKET
SHOULD BE UNOBTRUSIVE. NO NEGATIVE EFFECT ON COUNCIL TAX SHOULD TAKE
all sounds fantastic. It’s about time something was done to improve
the area. However, I’m not sure on the idea of the Casino.
- I THINK
THE WHOLE IDEA IS EXCELLENT FOR THE REGENERATION OF NEW BRIGHTON. THE JOBS
AND MONEY IT WILL BRING . IT IS ABOUT TIME THE PEOPLE OF NEW BRIGHTON
STOPPED TRYING TO LIVE IN THE DARK AGES AND GAVE THEIR FULL
idea sounds really good. We need something in the are but I think the Casino
will cause problems with quite a few people.
- SUPERB IDEA.
- We do
not need a Supermarket – we have one in Victoria Rod and 3 more within
3 miles. You seem reluctant to spend a few thousand pounds to remove silt
– but willing to spend £70 million+!! Visitors are mainly
families with children. Sea and sand main priority. Open air swimming pool
– in the English climate!! We do not need a Casino – enough
problems in the early hours now. Money better spent on updating the present
amenities and providing some up to date toilets to replace the ones the
- GENERALLY IN FAVOUR EXCEPT FOR “
THE UGLY SQUARE BLOCK OF APARTMENTS” WHICH WILL, OF COURSE, BE
AFFORDABLE ONLY TO THE PRIVILEGED FEW. AND THE WORD “POSSIBLY”
USED TOO MANY TIMES. THE “WHOLE” PACKAGE , AS THEY SAY, OR
- JUST GET ON WITH IT!!
could do with some decent restaurants on New Brighton prom. instead of those